Sunday, August 7

New blog tags

Sometimes I dont like to admit it but I actually consume a lot of internet. But in all my time online I am always impressed at the way the internet is able to show me new and interesting material from such diverse and unrelated backgrounds which makes me see the internet as yes a place for trivial and mindless dribble but at the same time a place for people to connect with some of the most interesting ideas from anywhere in the world. In coming across material for the blog I am reminded of Gandhi's Seven Deadly Sins which read:
Wealth without Work
Pleasure without Conscience
Science without Humanity
Knowledge without Character
Politics without Principle
Commerce without Morality
Worship without Sacrifice
I really like how these show that for everything we strive for we must always never forget to lose sight of the core principles for which we do things. That all things are in opposition to each other and although it seems counter-intuitive, we must seek balance between the things we do and desire.

looking at these precepts I think I could find examples of each of the sins and share them here. While Gandhi recognized these as sins I wonder if it would be possible to find the Seven Moral Virtues
Wealth with Work
Pleasure with Conscience
Science with Humanity
Knowledge with Character
Politics with Principle
Commerce with Morality
Worship with Sacrifice
So to kick things off I will share a video that shows Science with Humanity


In this video it shows how some musicians have made music out of the radioactive decay of elements. The musicians have managed to blend music with science and I think the result is something you will enjoy!

Update 8/15/11: after some further thought I think I will have to put this tag on the back-burner for the moment due to the fact that I haven't really used it. I originally envisioned this to be a reoccurring tag I could put on subsequent posts but that hasn't turned out to be the case after having it for a few weeks. I can see why Gandhi saw these and sins and while I notice many of these things as sins I didn't intend for this tag to be used to highlight the sins of the world here. I wanted to be able to show the seven moral virtues and I still have hope that they exist in the world I think that they are hard to come by.