Friday, December 28

not an act but a habit

just finished watching "jiro dreams of sushi" on netflix with dad and found it to be very inspiring and interesting. the film chronicles the life of a top tier sushi chef in Tokyo and his strive for excellence, which when brought to a level as his is infectious.
I am inspired by his constant dedication and focus in his work, how is genuine lobe of what he does channels into excellence in his life. through his constant and diligent hard work he has attained a degree of excellence that stands in contrast to the mediocrity of the world around him. his work is inspiring to me to achieve even a small degree of his excellence in my life and stands as a role model to me. definitely a movie to watch again when inspiration is needed in the future. as for now I am struck in awe and thought as to how I can achieve excellence in my life. am I missing opportunities for excellence in my life? where is excellence in my life? at what cost should I strive for excellence?
I am reminded of the quote by Aristotle that
"We are what we repeatedly do . . . excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
what habits do I have the bar me from achieving excellence?
this is something I will have to give some thought...