Thursday, May 26

Isaac Asimov on Bill Moyers World of Ideas


part one:
wow if only I had the same knowledge and optimism of Asimov! Asimov shows just how far ones passion for learning can take you if you apply yourself. It is really interesting to note that Asimov was trained as a biochemist yet is known as a writer. I admire that he not only had spread his wings to learn as much as he could, but also produced a prodigious amount of written work with nearly 500 written or edited books in his name! I would like to follow Asimov and start writing more of my ideas down, yet how can I develop the same kind of pleasure and enjoyment that Asimov had for writing and learning? How can I learn to appreciate my own creativity?

part two: (if you can only watch one section, this would be the one to watch)
if only Asimov could see the world today with the internet and near ubiquitous computer access for all! Yet we still have a "digital divide" which will be so important in creating more educated society. but I also might have to disagree with Asimov in that having computer access is not equal to having the same quality of experience as being in a classroom due to all the distractions such as facebook and lol cats online. What comes to mind is that the web is what we make it to be, if each of us had the "technological literacy" to create more meaningful content we could be in a much better situation.

do computers and technology "dehumanize" learning? yes and no in my opinion. I think that technology such as the internet has such potential to really connect people with ideas but I think it is also important for students to be able to interact with one another and "bounce ideas off of each other" to explore new possibilities and avenues. 

education as we know have it seen as a passage to a coming of age. This is a terrible way to conceptualize learning!  One should never claim to be "done with school"or done with learning. May I always have the desire to continually improve and develop my intellect, one can always be interested and find enjoyment in learning (but I realize my naivete in this matter)

part three:
Asimov makes an interesting note when he observes that the leading scientists on the Manhattan project were predominately European immigrants. Our continued success in my opinion relies upon America being a place of continued improvement in science and technology. Why is it that if an immigrant comes here to learn in our upper education institutions they are not invited to stay and  granted citizenship?